Hugh Martin, Silent Lake - New Photographs


May 5 - May 26, 2012
Mira Godard Gallery, 22 Hazelton Avenue, Toronto
Opening Reception: Saturday, May 5, 1 - 5 PM

"Through my engagement with photographing the land around the lake, I experienced winter camping at minus forty degrees Celsius, struggling every couple of hours through the night to feed the yurt’s wood stove. I saw the fresh tracks of a lone wolf toward twilight in the frigid dead of winter and heard the shrill cry of some unidentified animal slice through the otherwise silent atmosphere of the remote Canadian wilderness. And I felt a magnificent sense of solitude in early spring when the place was totally empty and the rangers had gone home for the evening. These sensations influenced my understanding of Silent Lake and affected how I photographed it. They also strengthened my belief in the importance of such protected landscapes, which serve as sanctuaries for animals and for the human mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment